Historical Markers

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Methodism began in Johnson County during the 1850s when Simeon Oden (Odom) held camp meetings near Grandview; Rev. Jeremiah Easterwood is credited with holding the first Methodist service in the area later to become Cleburne in 1852. A Methodist Church was organized ca. 1869, and at that time Mr. and Mrs. B.J. Chambers donated three lots in Block 13 of the town of Cleburne for the construction of Cleburne Methodist Episcopal Church, South, just two years after the town’s founding. Although the cornerstone was laid in 1869, the building was used by the congregation unfinished for several years. Horse drawn vehicles moved parts of the original structure to Main and Brown Streets, where a new building was erected in 1902. At that time, the church took the name Main Street Methodist Church. In 1966, the congregation purchased land at the corner of Westhill Drive and Colonial Avenue and a new church structure was consecrated at the location. The church became known as First Methodist Church; the term “United” was added to the name in 1968. The 1966 building was destroyed by fire in 1976 and a new structure was completed in 1978.
Return to full list >>
Methodism began in Johnson County during the 1850s when Simeon Oden (Odom) held camp meetings near Grandview; Rev. Jeremiah Easterwood is credited with holding the first Methodist service in the area later to become Cleburne in 1852. A Methodist Church was organized ca. 1869, and at that time Mr. and Mrs. B.J. Chambers donated three lots in Block 13 of the town of Cleburne for the construction of Cleburne Methodist Episcopal Church, South, just two years after the town’s founding. Although the cornerstone was laid in 1869, the building was used by the congregation unfinished for several years. Horse drawn vehicles moved parts of the original structure to Main and Brown Streets, where a new building was erected in 1902. At that time, the church took the name Main Street Methodist Church. In 1966, the congregation purchased land at the corner of Westhill Drive and Colonial Avenue and a new church structure was consecrated at the location. The church became known as First Methodist Church; the term “United” was added to the name in 1968. The 1966 building was destroyed by fire in 1976 and a new structure was completed in 1978.
Return to full list >>