Historical Markers

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Settlement of the community occurred in the 1850s, when J. F. Scurlock opened a general store one mile north of the present site. By 1860 a town site was laid off, and in December a two-story building was completed. The county's first Masonic lodge held its meetings in the building, and the town's first school conducted its classes there. 

Return to full list >>

Settlement of the community occurred in the 1850s, when J. F. Scurlock opened a general store one mile north of the present site. By 1860 a town site was laid off, and in December a two-story building was completed. The county's first Masonic lodge held its meetings in the building, and the town's first school conducted its classes there. 

Return to full list >>