Historical Markers

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The original school, a wooden multi-story structure known as the West Ward, was constructed in 1891. It served students in grades 1-6. In 1913, an aggressive building campaign led to the construction of three brick buildings to replace Cleburne’s three Ward schools. The new school located on N. Granbury was named J.N. Long Elementary, honoring Joseph N. Long, a banker who also served as president of the Cleburne school board and later, Superintendent of Schools. When a new school was  built, the original building was refurbished and is now the Cultural Arts Center.

Return to full list >>

The original school, a wooden multi-story structure known as the West Ward, was constructed in 1891. It served students in grades 1-6. In 1913, an aggressive building campaign led to the construction of three brick buildings to replace Cleburne’s three Ward schools. The new school located on N. Granbury was named J.N. Long Elementary, honoring Joseph N. Long, a banker who also served as president of the Cleburne school board and later, Superintendent of Schools. When a new school was  built, the original building was refurbished and is now the Cultural Arts Center.

Return to full list >>