|JUDGE ROGER HARMON BIOGRAPHY
County Judge Roger Harmon was born and raised in the County Seat of Johnson County. He attended Cleburne schools and also Hill and Tarrant Junior Colleges.
"I am very honored to have been married 45 years to the former Martha Hindman and am the Father of two grown children, Greg and Wendi. One of my greatest joys in life is my grandchildren, Trevor, Tessa, Hunter, Marissa and Mason. I also serve as a deacon and adult Sunday School Teacher at First Baptist Church of Godley. Prior to becoming County Judge in 1995, I successfully owned and operated my own insurance company in Cleburne for 20 years with a branch in Burleson."
Judge Harmon states "I am firmly committed to the principles of conservatism in matters concerning management of County business affairs." During the past seventeen years, Johnson County has experienced a population increase from 97,165 to 152,000 making our growth rate one of the highest in the State. This dramatic growth has presented a multitude of challenges, and opportunities for all County offices. "I am very pleased with the manner in which our offices have been able to respond and effectively deal with this rapidly changing environment while at the same time providing our citizens with quality services. I sincerely believe that through our sound planning and conservative management philosophies, Johnson County will continue to be successful in dealing with all future challenges."
Some of the accomplishments during my term as County Judge are:
- Received Grant from the Texas Historical Preservation Program for $4 Million to Restore the Historical Courthouse
- Guinn Justice Center completed in 2004 to be used as Justice Center
- *Received Award from Texas Association of Counties for 2005 Best Practice Outstanding Achievement Award
- *Received Award from Cleburne Chamber of Commerce for Community Improvement Award
- Purchase of 4 parcels of property with buildings from Cleburne Independent School District for expansion and better service of County Departments.
- Assembled a Johnson County Task force to develop an order to regulate sexually oriented business in the unincorporated areas of Johnson County
- Worked with the Public Utility Commission in order to keep our 817 area code for most of our county
- Instrumental in the Creation of a Personnel Department to represent all the employees of the county in a proactive way and to build a positive working environment for them
- Worked with the Johnson County Economic Development Commission to create a stronger tax base with added new jobs for our citizens
- Character First Program Implemented the planning and building of the Guinn Justice CenterCompleted Law Enforcement Expansion for overnighter and trustees
- New expansion for the Law Enforcement Center which added 288 more beds
- Worked with ISS to start our first Web site for the County
- Completed work with TxDOT for the widening of Hwy 67
- Working on plans with TxDOT for Hwy 121 – Chisholm Trail Parkway
- Newly Constructed Adult Probation BuildingWorking on Plans to Construct a New Alvarado Sub-Courthouse
- The future goals of our County are to complete plans on Hwy 121 and, continue working with the Economic Development Commission to attract new business to Johnson County.
- The following is a list of my public involvement in Cleburne, Johnson County and the State of Texas:
- President of the Texas Association of Counties, County Judges and Commissioners Association 2012-2013
- Past President of the Texas Association of Counties, North & East County Judges and Commissioners Association
- Member of the North Central Texas Regional Transportation Committee
- Member of many Chambers of Commerce throughout Johnson County
- Past Member Hill College Technical and Workforce Advisory Council
- Member Ex-Officio of Cleburne Chamber of Commerce
- Past Board Member of Operation Blessing
- Past Board Member of the Pecan Valley Mental Health & Retardation Board
- Member Ex-Officio of Johnson County Economic Development Board
- Member Ex-Officio of Johnson County Committee on Aging
- Executive Board Member of Texas Association of Counties
- Executive Board Member of the Agricultural Extension for Johnson County
- Board Member of the Workforce Development Board
- Member of the Johnson County Juvenile Board
- Past Member of the Conference of Urban Counties State Inter-Governmental Relations Committee
- Past Chairman of the Johnson County Elected Officials Council
- Past Chairman of the Industrial Division of the Johnson County United Way
- Past Advisory Board Member of the Child Study Center, Fort Worth
- Served as Vice President of the Cleburne YMCA
- Served six years as member of the Cleburne I.S.D. Board of Trustees
"I pledge to keep an open dialogue between Johnson County and all the surrounding cities in order to continue moving forward with the growth of our County and to the employees to continue improving the working relationships within our offices."