Certified Copy of Death Certificate $21.00 for 1st copy + $4.00 for each additional copy purchased at the same time. (Death must have occurred in Johnson County). The Vital Statistics office is located at the Historic Courthouse at 2 N. Main St. Rm 128 in downtown Cleburne (817-202-4000 x 1633). Mailing address is Johnson County Clerk-Vitals, PO Box 1986, Cleburne TX 76033.
A death record is closed to the general public until the 25th anniversary of the date of death as shown on the record filed with the local registrar. Certified copies available to qualified applicants only. Applicants must present a valid government-issued picture ID. Properly qualified applicants include registrant or immediate family member by blood, marriage or adoption; guardian or legal representative; law enforcement or governmental agencies; persons who can demonstrate a direct and tangible interest in the record for statutory obligations; or persons protecting a personal legal property right and can present an original designation document or attested statement.
Non-qualified applicants must have a signed (original) statement from the applicant authorizing them (naming them) to pick up the death certificate for the applicant. This statement must include a legible copy of the applicant's valid government-issued photo ID. The person named in your request must also present their original valid government-issued photo ID. All requests must by received on State-approved application form which must include the following information. (See download link at bottom of page.) No phone-in requests will be processed.
- Full name as it appears on death record
- Date of death
- Your relationship to person named on certificate
- Your valid mailing address
- Purpose of record
- If ordering by mail, you will need to send a copy of your legible valid government-issued photo ID
- In person you will need to present your original valid government-issued photo ID
- Cost for certificate is $21.00 for the first copy and $4 for each additional copy of the same record if purchased at the same time
- Please do not send cash through the mail, we accept business checks, money orders, or cashiers check-no personal checks
- Mail-in applications if paying by credit card, please provide daytime contact phone number.
Emergency Contact information for Burial Transit Permit - please go back to previous menu and go to Burial-Transit Permit tab
All fees are due and payable at time of service.
•Personal checks are not accepted.
•Business checks are accepted with company information on check.
•Credit cards are accepted with a small fee.