Minutes of JCHC Meeting
July 23, 2018
(12 Members Present)
Vice Chair, Randolph Garner called the meeting to order and led the invocation, followed by pledges to the US and Texas Flags.
Secretary's Report read by Lynn Buker
- Motion to approve; Dale Dexheimer made a motion to approve the minutes; seconded by Wilma Reed
- Motion passed
- JCHC Treasurer, Andy Asberry, was absent so there was no report
- No report
- The next JCHC meeting will be held Augustr 27, 2018 in Room 104 at the Johnson County Courthouse
- Friends of JCHC, Darlene West
- New member, Randolph Campbell was introduced
- One T-Shirt was sold this month at Lynn's store
- Lynn is getting prices for new sale items including keychains and mugs
- Texas Historical Markers, Wilma Reed
- No report
- JCHC Plaques and Dedications, Robert McMinn
- No report
- JCHC Museum, Darlene West
- 102 visitors this month
- 39 volunteer hours
- 812 hits on Facebook page
- Still working on complete list of JC Constables
- Information was requested regarding the cannon at the Cleburne Legion Hall
- It is a WWI field cannon, no information regarding who/when donated it (any additonal information would be appreciated)
- Provided information on the overpass (by City Hall) to Diane from the CT Outdoor Museum
- Banners around the Courthouse need replacing/repairing
- Lynn will research
- Dotey (Little House)
- No report
- Alvarado Wagon Barn
- No Report
- Chisholm Trail Outdoor Museum, Randolph Garner
- David Murdock is working with the City ot update and maintain the Museum. They are hoping Jack Wiley will be their official Restoration expert to help the maintain the museum.
- No report on the Terry House
- Museum is currently open Thursday - Saturday. This will change when the weather is cooler.
- Attendance has been less than normal, but figure it is because of the hot weather
- Burleson, Pat and Dale Dexheimer
- The next paranormal investigation/ghost tour will be held in November
- Dale reported they are getting lots of questions about the "Plaza" and now the City of Burleson is not sure that the proposed project will take place. Hill College has backed out of the deal and now we are not sure what they will do with the buildings. Space is at a premium in the downtown so they need to make the decision soon.
- The Baker Foundation-Baker House is open Wednesday - Saturday 11 AM - 3 PM
- The Russell House is open the 1st Saturday of every month
- Novembe 2 will be Russell Art Farm Heritage Days
- Day 1 will be Kids day and day 2 will be open to the public.
Meeting Adjourned at 7:01 PM
- Minutes prepared by Lynn Buker
JOHNSON COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION
Minutes of JCHC Meeting March 26, 2018
Held at the Johnson County Restored Little Old House (16 members and 1 guest were present)
Chair, John Percifield called the meeting to order
John Percifield asked Michael Simons to lead the invocation, followed by pledges to the US and Texas flags.
Lynn Buker asked that minutes be approved from last month, Michael Simons made a motion to accept; Cheryl Keller, 2nd, All for
Andy Asberry gave us the Treasurer’s report, the balance as of April, 2018 of $29,689.51. Michael Simons made a motion to accept, Wilma Reed 2nd, All for
- Randolph Garner made a motion to move our meetings from the Little House back to the Courthouse Meeting room for the next few months, Michael Simons 2nd; All for
- The next JCHC meeting will be held April 23, 2018 at the Courthouse Meeting Room at the Johnson County Courthouse at 6:30 PM
John Percifield states that we need to find new “Projects” for JCHC for the new year. If you have ideas, please bring them to our next meeting
- Robert McMinn asked us to consider donating funds for the Dog Run (Terry Home out at the Chisholm Trail Outdoor Museum) They need additional funds for lighting, electrical, flooring, etc.. The Museum is also working on the pavilion and wants to enclose it for a possible Gift Shop. They are looking to add tempered glass that would slide open like barn doors. They are looking for donations up to $16,000. John States because this building is of new construction, it would definitely not qualify because of its new construction.
- Andy Asberry stated that Godley used to have a fountain in the middle of town and they are in search of it. Godley is hoping to find it and put it at the Godley ISD. They will be seeking funds as well.
- John states that he will have to meet with the County Attorneys and go over guidelines for our future projects.
- Friends of JCHC – Darlene West stated our JCHC website as well as the FRIENDS website are up and running. It is now on the Johnson County website. It links to both JCHC and FRIENDS websites and also has our minutes and agendas posted. She has the FRIENDS brochure ready and going to production. We will be expanding our items for sale and will also sell items at Heritage Home – Vintage Inspired Living. Darlene also went out to the Market Days at Chisholm Trail Outdoor Museum. They had no sales. We are rethinking setting up out there until Spring/Summer.
- Texas Historical Markers – Wilma Reed. The dedication for the Renfro-Clark house in Burleson is set for April 7 at 2 PM. They are planning a big dedication for this event. Wilma asked if anyone could go and at least 6 hands went up! Thanks!!
- JCHC Plaques and dedications – Robert McMinn; No report
- JCHC Museum – Darlene West. Darlene has set up a Facebook page for the Museum and is trying to post something every day. She is doing a “Did You Know” feature. Like us on FB please! We had 101 visitors in this month. She is working with the Layland Museum to bring visitrs to both places. The Museum has had numerous kids come in over Spring Break. Darlene states the Museum is now considered a County Department! She is continuing to look for 1876 – 198- Constable information. We also have a donation of Vietnam Era Army Jacket with metals included. Email: Dwest@johnsoncountytx.org, Website: www.johnsoncountytx.org/history
- Dotey (Little Old House) John has hung the new marker!!
- Alvarado Wagon Yard – John Percifield reported the Wagon Barn is in limbo right now.
- Chisholm Trail Outdoor Museum – Randolph Garner wanted us to recognize how nice the Little House looks and commended the Commission for all the great work we have done in the last year. The Chisholm Trail Outdoor Museum is working on the Old Rock Dog Run Post Office. It will visually look like the orginal building and they are hoping to put electric out to the structure soon. Randolph states they had 225 people last weekend out at the Museum. Sam Keller states April 7 they will have 50-60 blacksmiths come out and “Hammer” at the Blacksmith Shop from 8 AM till??
- Burleson – Dale Dexheimer. This Saturday, March 31st will host Vietnam Celebration at the Plaza. And they will be hosting the Renfro-Clark house celebration. Refreshments will be served and Terry’s Texas Rangers will be doing a salute at the Renfro House as well. 2 PM at 128 N. Clark Street, Burleson
- Danny Doggett stated the man that built the concrete log house on Mcinear lived in one of his houses on S Wilite. He has the first attempted logs on his garage. The house on Mcinear was going to be a garage and they then turned it into the house we see now. He also built an observatory that has since been torn down.
Meeting adjourned 7:03 PM
(Please let Lynn Buker or Sandra Neeley know if you have items to add to the JCHC calendar)
JOHNSON COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION
Minutes of JCHC Meeting January 22nd, 2018
Held at the Johnson County Restored Little Old House (14 members and 1 guest was present)
Chair John Percifield called the meeting to order.
John Percifield asked Ron McRuiz to lead the invocation, followed by pledges to the US and Texas flags.
Lynn Buker asked that minutes be approved from last month, Randolph Garner made a motion to accept Wilma Reed, 2nd; All for
Lynn Buker gave us the Treasurer’s report, the balance as of January 30th, 2018 of $29,746.81 Wilma Reed made a motion to accept, Cheryl Keller 2nd; all for
Old Business No Report
A.The next JCHC Meeting will be held March 26th , 2018 at the” Little Old House” at 409 N Buffalo at 6:30pm
New Business: John Percifield states that we need to find new “Projects “for JCHC for the new year.. If you have ideas, please bring them to our next meeting.
Nita Redmon states they are looking to get JCHC plaques and maybe a Texas Historical Marker for the Grandview Bank. She says the TXDOT street project will get started soon, they will also be doing a beautification with street lights and park benches.
Grandview Library is now in the old Post Office Building. Many of Grandview’s building will be sold off including the Old Jail House and the buildings that housed City hall and The Police Station as they have all been moved to a new location.
- Friends of JCHC –: Darlene West stated she has been working with the County IT director to get our JCHC website as well as the FRIENDS Website up and running. It is now on the Johnson County Website . It links up to both JCHC & Friends Websites and also has our minutes posted. She also showed the group the new Friends Brochure.
B. Texas Historical Markers - Wilma Reed - JCHC Dotey House marker is Here !! Cultural Arts Center at JN Long application has been denied. They asked that they resubmit it for next year as the THC had over 225 applications sent in this year. They only take 155 for plaques every year. They should have a good chance to get it next year.
C.JCHC Plaques & Dedications – Robert McMinn; No Report
D. JCHC Museum-Darlene West: Darlene has set up a Facebook page for the Museum and is trying to post something every day… She is doing a “Did You Know” feature. Like us on FB please!
We had 73 visitors in this month. She is finalizing a brochure just for the Courthouse Museum.
Darlene is working with the JC IT department and has redone our JCHC website as well as Friends Website and has added our Minutes for both groups. Thank You Darlene!!
E. Dotey (Little Old House- New Plaque will get hung in the same location as our old Plaque.
F. Alvarado Wagon Yard- John Percifield reported they will start to move items into the Wagon Barn and work on Display in the next few weeks.
G. Chisholm Trail Outdoor Museum – Randolph Garner reports the Cold & Wet weather has made it slow, not much traffic. They are open Sat- Sun winter hours. They have poured concrete for the foundation for the Old Rock Dog Run Post Office. It will visually look like the original building and they are hoping to put electric out to the structure. They will finalize the name of this building in the coming months and are hoping to have Terry’s Texas Rangers use ½ the building. This building is located next to the school at the East end of the property where they house the Cannons on special occasions.
Randolph stated they have been given $$ from the Meadows Foundation for this project and the Stage Coach Station.
Sam Keller states they will have a new Blacksmith to come out when he or John can’t be at the Museum.
Burleson – Burleson – Dale Dexheimer- No Report
MISC: John asks that we keep Michael & Amy Simons in our prayers.
Meeting adjourned 7:12 p.m.
Minutes prepared by Lynn Buker