The town had its beginning with the opening of J.F. Scurlock's general store in the 1850s. Just before the Civil War the town was platted and a Masonic Lodge/school building was completed in December of 1860.
Construction of a mill bolstered the community and in 1882 the railroad arrived -- sort of. It came within two miles of the then established settlement and residents and businesses migrated to the rails.
Ty 1890 the population pasted the 500 mark and grew to 700 in the first years of the 20th Century. A devastating fire hit the town in 1920, destroying most of the town's businesses and 100 homes.