Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

 Railroad Museum

The Mission of the Cleburne Railroad Museum is to collect, preserve and interpret artifacts that preserve the history of the railroad in Cleburne and the men and women who built it. 

The Railroad Museum was opened in November of 2016 and celebrates the 100+ year history of the Santa Fe railroad and repair shops in cleburne. Located at 206 N. Main Street, the museum is open 11 AM  - 3 PM Thursday, Friday and Saturday and can be visited at other times by calling 817-645-6940.

Website: Click "Departments" then "Museums"

In nearby Hulen Park is Santa Fe #3417, a Pacific-type, 4-6-2 steam locomotive built in 1919 and at the Amtrak station is Santa Fe caboose #999457.

The Cleburne Railroad Museum relies on private volunteer donations for acquisitions, programs, events and displays. All donations of money, photos and railroad materials will be used to supplement the limited public funds.

Send donations to:      CRRMG

201 N. Caddo Street

Cleburne, Texas 76033

 Cleburne Railroad Museum Group is an all volunteer, Texas nonprofit corporation recognized as a chairtable organization (501(c)(3). lAll donations are tax deductible in accordance with current laws. 




Alvarado Wagon Barn Preservation Project

The Alvarado Heritage and Preservation Foundation is in the process of restoring the 108-year-old steel warehouse, also known as the Park Hardware Wagon Barn. When the renovation is completed, the structure will house the Alvarado Heritage Center. This museum will pay tribute to Park Hardware, as well as showcase the early history of Alvarado, Texas and its agricultural heritage. This process was begun in 2009 and is nearing completion. The artifacts and displays for this facility are being financed by donations from private individuals and local businesses. If you would like to contribute to the preservation and promotion of Alvarado's rich history, please click the donation button above. If you have any items that you would like to donate to the museum,, and contact us.



Little Old House

The "Little Old House on Buffalo Street" is a historical landmark in Cleburne. It is said to have been built between 1867-1868 when the county seat moved to this location. At that time Buffalo Street was the "road into town “and within "water-toting" distance to the towns public well. A short distance away from the Little House was the stagecoach stop.

Professor W.F. Featherston built the home for his sister, Elizabeth Pat Featherston Doty.

The city directory shows Mr. and Mrs. T.P. Kirkham living in the house in 1913. The Kirkham family added the stone house in the back yard, which Mr. Kirkham used in his business as a hatter. 

With the help of Johnson County, Johnson County Historical Commission, and Save Old Cleburne, we hope to make this house available to the public in the future.

We thank you for your support.


 Briden Cabin 


Rio Vista Briden Cabin Project

 The history of the Briden Cabin begins with Henry Briden. Henry Briden (1825 – 1908) came to Texas from his native Germany in 1845 and served as a Texas Ranger for two years.  July 16, 1849 Henry Briden and Lucinda Sevier (1831 - 1875) were married and immediately Henry brought his bride to what later would be Johnson County and settled on land (part of a Spanish grant) given them by Mrs. Briden's uncle, A. H. Sevier.

Her father, Charles Sevier, and his brother were surveyors. In July 1849 Henry Briden and his bride, Lucinda (Sevier), arrived in a wagon pulled by oxen, accompanied by her father, Charles Sevier, and an uncle, A. G. Sevier. At the Nolan River west of the site of Rio Vista they found springs of water A. H. Sevier helped the young couple to build a log cabin on the Nolan River above Dripping Spring. The roof and door were made of thin boards hewn from the trees. Henry Briden would become the first settler in Johnson County.

Many histories give Samuel Myers as the first settler in the county, others name William Balch. Myers did not come to the county until 1851, and although William Balch staked out a claim in December 1849, he left and did not return until 1851, so neither was here as early as Henry Briden.

The Briden Cabin is one of Johnson County Historic Commissions sponsored projects.  Mayor Keith Hutchinson is dedicated to restoring the Briden Cabin located in Rio Vista Texas.  This is the oldest first settled home in Johnson County. Come see this Cabin restored and standing.

The project is finished and now the Briden Cabin will be available for our next generation to see our County's History.

Contact Rio Vista City Hall for appointment to see this great piece of history.

102 S Hwy 17                                         

Rio Vista, Texas 76093


DSC_9259 FX CE 8x10 

 Johnson County Courthouse Museum

After the restoration of the Johnson County Court House in 2008, the Johnson County Historical Commission was given a room to house what is now the Johnson County Museum.  The Museum opened in the fall of 2010, and is managed and operated by the Johnson County Historical Commission.  The purpose of the museum is to collect and preserve historical and natural history and material relating to Johnson County, Texas.

Each City in Johnson County is represented with its own display case that houses items of interest for that city, such as: Alvarado, Burleson, Cleburne, Godley, Grandview, Joshua, Keene and Venus.

The Johnson County Museum has been very fortunate to have received several collections, including The Dan Leach, Wanda Erickson, Jim West, Jack Carlton, Dr. Harris and the latest collection of books pertaining to Philip Nolan.

Darlene West was recently hired as the archival clerk of the Johnson County Historical Commission Museum. West's appointment makes possible one of the commission's long hoped-for goals of facilitating additional museum days of operation.

Please come and learn more about where you live!

The Johnson County Historic Museum is located on the north wing of the first floor in the Restored Johnson County Court House.

We are open Mon - Fri 10-12 Lunch 1-3

#1 Main Street, Cleburne, Texas 76033

phone: (817)556-6970     Darlene West - Museum Administrator


market square

Market Square

Market square is one of Johnson County Historic Commission's projects in the community.  The Market Square was established in 1898 because of the many people that would come to town to sell their wares in front of the Courthouse. It had become such an event, that it made it difficult for the courthouse to conduct regular business. The overflow of people, wagon's and animals, and the mess it left in its wake became too much.

On Monday, March 21, 1898, The Johnson County Commissioners met at the Courthouse to officially purchase Block 24, on the west side of South Main Street to be established and maintained by the City of Cleburne expressly for the use as a free marketplace for the community and surrounding areas. Joe Mickle owned most of the block that was to be Market Square and was paid $1,650 by the county for his property while P.C. Chambers who owned the remaining lot allowed the county to have his land for $5. (Ann Kieschnick, Johnson County History.)

Market Square has been a part of Cleburne since 1898. It was a meeting place for all to come and gather for trading their ware, selling horses, cattle, vegetables and community gatherings. With First Monday Trade Days crowds overflowing into the streets, it was the heart of the city at one time.

With the help of Johnson County, The City of Cleburne, The Heritage Assembly, Johnson County Historical Commission, Save Old Cleburne and you, we made this the meeting place of the city again.